Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Homemade Macaroni and Cheese

I love macaroni and cheese and I especially love making it from scratch. Over the weekend I wanted a side dish that would work with ribs and fried chicken and also be kid friendly. I was looking for recipes and I ended up modifying a Pioneer Woman recipe for Macaroni and Cheese. I usually use Jacques Pépin's recipe but I wanted to try something else this time. I think it turned out pretty well and everyone thought it was tasty.

Here is the recipe:


·  4 cups dried Macaroni
·  1/4 cup Butter
·  1/4 cup All-purpose Flour
·  2 cups Milk
·  1 teaspoon Dry Mustard, More If Desired
·  1 pound Cheese, Shredded
·  1/2 teaspoon Salt, More To Taste
·  ¼ teaspoon Garlic Salt, More To Taste
·  1/2 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper

Cook macaroni a few minutes less than what the directions say. Macaroni should be too firm to eat right out of the pot. Drain.

In a large pot, melt butter and sprinkle in flour. Whisk together over medium-low heat. Cook mixture for five minutes, stirring constantly.


Pour in milk, add mustard, and stir until smooth. Cook for five minutes until very thick. Reduce heat to low.
Add in cheese and stir to melt.
Add salt and pepper. Taste sauce and add more as needed.
Pour in drained, cooked macaroni and stir to combine.

Serve immediately (very creamy) or pour into a buttered baking dish, top with extra cheese, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly and golden on top.
Linking up at: Tip Junkie handmade projects

No comments:

Post a Comment

© The Epicurean Crafter. Powered by